As a teacher and a book nerd, I am always looking for ways to incorporate reading into my son Will’s everyday life. I decided before he was even born that he was going to be a reader if it killed us both (and at this rate, it just might!).
We have the requisite Advent calendar from Pottery Barn Kids (and it’s monogrammed!), and Will usually puts a piece of candy in each pocket and then pulls it out each morning to have with his breakfast. Mom of the Year over here, folks!
I’ve seen the idea for the book countdown before, and this year, I decided it was time. I was surprised when I went through our home library to see how many Christmas books we already had. I kept all the books my parents gave me as a kid (my mom is also a book nerd), and I collected them all through high school, college, grad school and beyond.
To find additional books, it was nothing but fun trolling Amazon for more children’s Christmas books!
Here’s the list of the books that I decided on:
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss
- The Night Before Christmas by Clement C. Moore
There are dozens of versions of this class Christmas poem. There’s a Little Golden Book, Bearenstain Bears, Richard Scarry, and Sesame Street, just to name a few!
- Dream Snow by Eric Carle
- The Legend of the Christmas Tree by Pat Matuszak
- The Story of Holly and Ivy by Rumer Godden
- The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry
- The Little Match Girl by Hans Christian Andersen
- An Orange for Frankie by Patricia Polacco
- The Snowman by Raymond Briggs
- Legend of the Christmas Stocking by Rick Osborne
- It’s Christmas, David! By David Shannon
- Merry Christmas Mom and Dad by Mercer Mayer
- The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree: An Appalachian Story by Gloria Houston
- Letters From Father Christmas by J.R.R. Tolkein
- Christmas Tapestry by Patricia Polacco
- Welcome Comfort by Patricia Polacco
- A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
- Corduroy’s Christmas by Don Freeman
- Pete the Cat Saves Christmas by Eric Litwin and James Dean
- A Bad Kitty Christmas by Nick Bruel
- The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg
- The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Little Golden Book) by Rick Bunsen
- Frosty the Snowman (Little Golden Book) by Diane Muldrow
- Santa’s Toy Shop (Little Golden Book) by Al Dempster
I also got to access my inner Christmas nerd with wrapping paper from Target! They even coordinate!